Science & Technology

Facebook says bug-hit posts, coronavirus news ‘restored’ after system malfunction

CALIFORNIA: Social media giant Facebook on Wednesday acknowledged that it had erroneously taken down some posts and links to news items, including those related to the novel coronavirus, after its anti-spam system experienced a glitch but that it “restored” them later.

Posts mistakenly taken down by the social media platform also included those pertaining to the Aurat March in Pakistan, among others that had no link to coronavirus.

A screenshot showing the warning received by a Facebook user over their post related to Aurat March 2020. Facebook/Screenshot/via Geo.tv

A Facebook user spoke to Geo.tv, saying they had received a warning after one of their posts related to the Aurat March 2020 had been taken down early Wednesday morning.

“Your post goes against our Community Standards on spam,” the warning stated. “We have these standards to prevent things like false advertising, fraud and security breaches.”

The Facebook user told Geo.tv that their post was restored later in the day and the notification carrying the warning had also disappeared.

In a Twitter post, Facebook Vice President for Integrity, Guy Rosen, wrote that the company had “restored all the posts that were incorrectly removed, which included posts on all topics – not just those related to COVID-19”.

Guy Rosen

@guyro

We’ve restored all the posts that were incorrectly removed, which included posts on all topics – not just those related to COVID-19. This was an issue with an automated system that removes links to abusive websites, but incorrectly removed a lot of other posts too.

686 people are talking about this

“This was an issue with an automated system that removes links to abusive websites, but incorrectly removed a lot of other posts too,” Rosen added.

COVID-19 is the name given by the World Health Organization (WHO) to the new strain of coronavirus that has left over 8,000 people dead around the world.

Pakistan reported its first two deaths on Wednesday as Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Health Minister Taimur Khan Jhagra confirmed that both patients — one in Mardan and another in Hangu — had died. The number of nationwide infections, on the other hand, hit 250, with most cases in Sindh.

Related posts
Science & Technology

The US company has started making ventilators from car parts

Tesla, a US multipurpose technology and vehicle manufacturing company, announced after the outbreak of the Corona virus that it would manufacture ventilators to cover the shortage of ventilators in the world. Not only Tesla but…
Read more
Science & Technology

How will the Corona virus outbreak be controlled? Bill Gates said

Bill Gates, co-founder of Microsoft and one of the richest people in the world, cited a period of success in preventing the Corona virus outbreak. In an interview to Fox News, Bill Gates said that…
Read more
Science & Technology

How is WhatsApp data stolen? The FIA Official Guide how to Protect it

Mobile phone users generally understand that their WhatsApp data is secure or cannot be stolen, citing that theft of data is not a difficult task but there are some important steps to be taken. FIA…
Read more

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *