The World Health Organization (WHO) announced Wednesday that it was removing hydroxychloroquine, a drug used by US President Donald Trump to treat malaria, from a global study to find a possible cure for the corona virus.
The decision to end the trial of hydroxychloroquine was taken after trial data and the results of a study indicated that the drug was not effective in treating corona virus.
The announcement was made by Anna Maria Hino Restrepo, the World Health Organization’s medical officer, and has almost dashed expectations of the drug being helpful against the corona virus.
The drug gained attention a few months ago when some small research reports suggested it could be effective in treating corona virus.
Donald Trump also calls it a possible cure for corona viruses and has been using it to avoid code 19.
However, numerous large-scale research reports have shown that the drug is not helpful but can cause life-threatening heart problems in some patients.
It was recently discovered in the medical journal New England Journal of Medicine that hydroxychloroquine is not helpful in preventing the corona virus.
Earlier this week, the US Food and Drug Administration announced that it would not allow emergency use of the drug, saying it did not appear to be effective against Code 19.
Interestingly, the WHO stopped testing the drug Hydroxychloroquine, a drug proposed by US President Donald Trump to treat code 19, late last month.
The agency announced that it had stopped using chloroquine to treat the corona virus because research had raised questions about its safety and even said it could increase the risk of death. I have increased.
The head of the World Health Organization (WHO), Tedros Adhanom Gabrias, has said that the World Health Organization (WHO) has “temporarily banned” chloroquine from a possible cure for the corona virus while reviewing safety data. ‘
But in early June, the World Health Organization resumed trials of the drug.
“We announced last week that we would temporarily suspend the trial of hydroxychloroquine, based on a few reports,” said Sumia Swamy Nathan, head of the World Health Organization’s team of scientists. It is said that this increases the death rate.
“Now we are confident and there is no difference in the death rate, so the Data Safety Monitoring Committee recommends resuming its trials,” he added.
Sumia Swami Nathan said there was no evidence that any drug reduced the death rate in Code 19 patients.
“That’s why it’s so important to keep the trial going. The only way to get a final answer is to have a well-conducted trial, so we can see how deadly these drugs or strategies are to death and disease,” he said. Are helpful in reducing.
It is believed that Donald Trump has been strongly supporting the use of hydroxychloroquine since the beginning of the spread of the corona virus in the United States, and even claimed in a press conference that the American Food and Drug Association has recommended the treatment of corona virus. Therefore, this medicine has been approved, which was later denied.
The US president later announced that he was using the drug himself and made the decision with the support of doctors and others.
“I think it’s a good thing and I’ve heard a lot of good stories about it,” he told reporters.
At the same time, he dismissed the dangers posed by chloroquine to his government’s experts.
And now the World Health Organization has announced that it will suspend its trial again.
Dr. Anna Maria said that our internal trial data and external recovery trial data as well as 3 major trials have indicated that hydroxychloroquine does not reduce mortality in patients.
“After reviewing these analyzes and published evidence and in consultation with our executive group, we decided to discontinue the use of hydroxychloroquine for the trial,” he added.