Three West Indies players have withdrawn from the Test series in England next month for fear of the Corona virus.
According to a report by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), batsmen Sharon Hetmeyer, Darren Bravo and all-rounder Chemo Powell have decided not to be part of the 25-member squad for the tour of England.
The three-Test series was scheduled to start on June 4 but was postponed due to the corona virus.
The new series between England and the West Indies is scheduled to begin on July 8 without spectators.
The West Indies team will arrive in England on June 9 and will stay in Old Trafford for quarantine and training.
The first Test between the two teams will begin on July 8 in Southampton, followed by the two Tests at Old Trafford on July 16 and July 24, respectively.
Cricket West Indies said in a statement that the corona test of the players will be held this week and they will leave for the UK on a private flight on June 8.
The West Indies have selected a 14-member squad as well as 11 additional players as substitutes who will be part of the squad for training and will be available to the team if needed.
The West Indies squad includes Jason Holder (captain), Jeremy Blackwood, Bonner, Craig Braithwaite, Shammar Brooks, John Campbell, Ruston Chase, Rakim Cornwall, Shane Dowrich, Chimar Holder, Shay Hope, Alzari Joseph, Ramon Refere and Kemaroch is included.
Additional players include Sunil Embress, Joshua Daslova, Shannon Gabriel, Kevin Harding, Kyle Myers, Preston McSweeney, Marquino Mandela, Shane Moseley, Anderson Philip, Ocean Thomas and Joel Warrickan.
The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) has said that the decisions of Hetmeyer, Bravo and Chemopoul will not stand in the way of future elections.
It should be noted that the UK is one of the countries in the world most affected by Corona where the number of cases is many times higher than the West Indies.
The West Indies announced last month that they would send their team to England, while announcing a 50 per cent reduction in the salaries of players and staff.
Cricket West Indies chief executive Johnny Grave said: “We will not force any player to tour as the safety of the players is our top priority and we will fully respect the wishes of all the players.”
West Indian cricket officials said that from July 1, the salaries of players, umpires and coaches will be reduced by 50 per cent and we hope that this partial reduction will not last for more than six months.